Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hola a todos! I've been in AR for two months now, and I'm happy to say things are going very well. Zaria and I have both found work now, which is a big relief. I am working with children at a school called St. John's, an after-school english institute. Also this week I began working at an english institute for adults, called CEIM.

I am really enjoying both jobs, working with the kids has been a challenge for me because it is not something I have experience with, nor have I ever felt 'good' at. But the kids make me laugh, and for the most part they are well-behaved and very sweet. I'm learning a lot about teaching, as well, since I am working with two teachers, one of which has been teaching for over ten years.
The job with the adults is at a very small school run by one man, named Roberto. Roberto invited me to help him teach his 'post-advanced' english classes, so that his students would be exposed to a native accent. I have gone to three of his classes now, and I really love working there. Its very easy for my part, all I really have to do is talk! At the same time, Roberto has studied linguistics extensively, and I am learning things about english that I never knew. For example, the word 'snob' comes from 'as a noble.' Very interesting things!

I'm learning a lot in my spanish class as well, and I feel my comprehension of the language slowly growing. It is so cool to be here surrounded by language learners, and language teachers. I feel like my decision to come here was the right one. That feeling makes the difficult aspects of living here much easier, and I feel all the challenges I faced and will face are very worthwhile.
More to come in my next post about mummies, collapsed bridges, and debaucherous French girls hahaha!!! (these are not exaggerations ;)

Plaza San Martin, Cordoba at night:


Basílica Nuestra Señora del Valle, Catamarca Capital:

1 comment:

  1. Too bad there aren't any good locations to take pictures of. You'd think they'd work harder on their architecture. I mean, really....

    ReplyDelete