Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hola queridos, lo siento que hace mucho tiempo hasta escribi. Hello friends! Sorry I have not written in a while. Zaria and I are now in Cordoba, Argentina, which is northwest of Buenos Aires, and closer to the Sierra mountains. We took a double decker night bus here, it was about nine hours, and we sat on the top deck, right in front! It was fun until I woke up in the middle of the night and saw other buses racing towards us in the night haha.

Cordoba is a city about the size of Kansas City. We came here because we have a friend, Luciana, who is renting out two rooms to us. Luciana is a lot of fun and she speaks fluent english, so she has been a great guide for the city and Argentina. She is also sharing a lot of the history of the city with us and studied spanish grammer in school, the perfect person to hang out with! She has been helping me with my spanish.
I am starting spanish class Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it. This is what I came here to do, learn spanish. I feel like I have already learned so much here, about cultural differences and what it takes to adjust to living in a foreign country. I have so much respect for my own ancestors that travelled to the US and made it their home, and also for the immigrants that come to the US today. Learning a new language and culture is no small feat. There are sooo many things I miss from home, both small and large. Nachos! and fake cheese haha. I'm getting used to not having air conditioning, and dealing with many bugs. I've also had to eat a lot of ham and cheese (they LOVE it here!) These are some negatives, but there are many positives. In adjusting to a diet overhaul, I've discovered foods that I really like here. One is jugo de pomelo (grapefruit juice) which at home I would never have even tried. All of the juice here is literally squeezed right from the fruit into your cup. Such a simple concept, yet in the US we can't seem to acheive it.

Everyone we've met is very friendly, with few exceptions. The Argentines are definitely night owls, it is not uncommon at all for them to be out until 6am, and get up for work at 8am the next day. They have a 'sleep whenever' lifestyle, hence, there are siestas from 1pm to 3 or 4pm, when all the stores close and everyone goes home for lunch and a nap! It is much more prevelant here in Cordoba than it was in bustling Buenos Aires.

In traveling one must admit that there are high points and low points, some higher and lower than others. here are some examples:

Low: being called gorda (fatty) by a homeless drunk man with a horrible sunburn.
High: being called bonitas divinas (divine beauties) by a man on a motorscooter.
Low: almost dying everytime you get in a car or cross a street (the driving is so scary here)
High: realizing you can make a phone call in spanish (albeit badly ;)

Low: washing your clothes and hanging them to dry, only to have the rain flail them into the mud later.
High: sunning yourself by the pool drinking mate (a strong tea, seen pictured above), all while learning new spanish words. Buenisimo!

I miss you all very much! Besos a todos!


left to right : Zaria, Luciana, Luis, and yours truly :)

2 comments:

  1. haha nice list of highs and lows! It is awesome to see that you are doing well! Hope your Spanish class is really helpful.
    I don't think I would think to try grapefruit juice either! But freshly squeezed sounds amazing. Especially if it was nice and warm outside. Sigh.
    lol you are missing nachos!? of all the things! haha

    Cheers to Valentines, and to this experience of a lifetime. Looking forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being offered mate is supposed to be quite an honor for any visitor. I tried it one time - it is HORRIBLE! haha But you have to accept it with grace and a smile (even the leaf fragments you'll likely get). Was it offered in a single container that everyone shared? I think that is also customary.

    Glad to see you happy, sweetheart. I am so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete