Monday, February 1, 2010

Hoooola! Oh my what a crazy time its been here in BA. Zaria and I are finally settling in more, learning the bus routes, how to identify familiar food dishes, and how to avoid some of the 'pajeros.' We've started avoiding places that attract foreigners, because they also attract 'pajeros!'

Nonetheless, BA is a beautiful city with friendly people. As big cities go, its a great place to visit. I feel much safer here than I would in New York or Chicago, especially at night. There are so many people here eager to speak with us, and none of them seemed turned off by our accents or lack of language skill. It is a huge contrast with the US, where foreigners are often scorned or sometimes simply turned away. Also in major contrast, almost everyone I've talked to here knows at least a little english. They all study it in high school, and are brave enough to give it a try. I'm very impressed by this, having come from a country where studying a foreign language is seen as a trivial matter.

Finally there is a slight reprieve from the 'Golpe de calor' (literally, 'hit of heat'), so we've been out doing more sight-seeing. We've made friends with Leo and Virginia, who took us out dancing to a 'boliche,' it was hilarious and fun. On to the pictures!

In case you were wondering, no, the tip was not included, we'll put it in english for you:


Not sure how it was supposed to open the can...I just hacked and pulled until I could dump out peas and carrots....

Zaria and I with our new amiga, Virginia (pronounced Veer-heen-ee-a) ;)

3 comments:

  1. lol 1 the tip is not included! Awesome!
    I like that tank you have on in the 2nd photo. more Argentina clothes?
    It is great that you are getting settled in and making new pals!
    I cant believe most people know a bit of English. Maybe this is another reason all foreigners think Americans are dumb. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many Latinos (other countries, of course) consider the Argentines to be snobs. I didn't think so at all. I think it's just that other Spanish speaking cultures are so much more amiable and friendly that perhaps they make the Argentines seem that way by comparison. But they're all worlds ahead of us in being friendly to strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - it looks like you are having a blast! Enjoy your travels!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete